Tuesday, December 2, 2008

An Addiction

Last night, as usual, I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning making art. It's so strange what happens to me when I have a bit of inspiration and energy . . . the combination is like crack. I get obsession to create when an idea pops into my head and I can't think about anything else until I get it all out on paper, fabric, canvas, or whatever I am working with. I had this ah-ha moment last night when I was going through my stamps and wanted to do a project with text from a book, some Grungeboard, embossing inks/powders, some new Pink Paislee papers, and some gorgeous Prima flowers. I wanted to do something "different". While the techniques are common to artists -- I think the concept I came up with for this altered art project is pretty killer. I finished it all but adding the pics to it last night and couldn't wait to show it to someone, so when I heard Ian still watching tv upstairs, I ran up there and asked him what he thought. Usually, he flips through things quickly, asks me, "YOU did THIS!???," and it's over. But, he kept flipping through it, backwards and forwards, inspecting it, and I felt *chills*. I almost wanted to cry! To create something so beautiful that it makes someone STUDY it, is just TOO MUCH for words. To feel something so strongly that you NEED to express it through art and then have that feeling transferred and felt by the person looking at your art makes my chest swell. This is what art is to me. This is why I dream about it, wake up waiting to create more, and can't sleep when I'm tired because I'm still thinking about it. All my life I've been so practical -- now I feel alive. I feel like I've waited all my life to have the means and the time to create art. It fills me with breath, and I hope I can do a little of the same for those who enjoy my art.

note: I wanted to post pictures of the project I created, but at this time I couldn't b/c of my desire to enter it for design team submission. I will, however, post it after I have submitted it! (so, keep your eyes on the blog!)

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

That's so great that you have found something you are passionate about- you are very creative and what a great outlet for you. I can't wait to see the final product and I'm sure the judges will be blown away by your talent. Good luck! I wish I had some of your creativity! :)