Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Picking Up Where I Left Off

Wow, so somewhere in a parallel universe I had started this blog. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately!, I have grossly neglected it ... Even to the point of forgetting about it ... Until {kid} #2 read from it a few days ago and reminded me of how precious the chronicles of our prior days are. So, lemme give it another go, as they say.

I should resume by confirming that much has passed in these several years since I last wrote. Some, for the better, and some seemingly for the worst ... But, then, even those turned out for the better as well (you know sometimes it just doesn't feel "better" while you're going through the valleys).  I've been working for several years as a nurse practitioner, my kids have grown, my husband and I have grown (horizontally a bit), and my little family continues to learn how to love one another daily.  We are not without struggles, but we are abundant with joy. I cannot complain, yet I probably don't give sufficient gratitude.

As I had some downtime this morning after the kids got on the bus, I started reading all the way back at the beginning of 1 Nephi again. I do this not because I'm a particularly devoted student, but instead because I can't remember a darn thing I've read. Anyway, in the theme of gratitude, I consider it a blessing ... Like the Dori {from Nemo} kind of blessing ... You're even more astounded and joyful the second and third and thirtieth time you stumble upon something 😉 Anyway, as I read in this 1st and second chapter of 1 Nephi, I became increasingly awestruck by the character of Lehi. Particularly, in the sections below:

4 And it came to pass that he departed into the wilderness. And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his precious things, and took nothing with him, save it were his family, and provisions, and tents, and departed into the wilderness.

7 And it came to pass that he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God.

I find it remarkable that he left with essentially his toothbrush and his family and immediately after carving out a little area to sleep in the woods, he BUILDS an alter, gives an OFFERING, and THANKED the Lord.

Geez, how many days have I woken up in my comfy little bed, in my sweet plush pj pants {yes I have an obsession with pj pants}, walked through my beautiful house, eaten a breakfast fit for a king, and GONE ON WITH THE REST OF MY ENTIRE DAY WITHOUT ONCE ACKNOWLEDGING the Lord's hand and abundant giving in my own life? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME!!? {deep breath} well, today will be different ... Today will be the start of acknowledging that I AM BLESSED. And, like Lehi, I have my beautiful family ... So, in a world of chaos and confusion and really, really whacked out things that have been happening lately, I will kneel today and I will pray quietly to the Lord and I will be thankful.

No comments: